Sunday, March 6, 2011

Off My Feet...

This week is gonna have to be a short entry, I'm not real long on time.
We focused all of our missionary efforts this week on getting people to church and helping our investigators really progress that way. Unfortunately only two showed up on the day of reckoning so we will probably have to drop more of them than I'd like.
We went to Haulian, a beautiful touristy town up the coast about three hours by train for president interviews this last weekend. Hualian is the only other city in our zone and since its closer to Taipei the president usually goes there. While we were there we went on exchanges with the sisters there. They are the only other sisters this far down in Taiwan so exchanges are special. Usually on exchanges we would split and cover two different areas for a 24 hour period, but since Huallian and Taidong are so far apart we all just cover the same area and live in the same apartment for a day. Its a lot of fun. Unless you are bedridden.
Monday I was bitten or stung by some manner of creepy crawly. Through the week it was red and really sore but I thought it was just a mosquito bite, they can be bad in Taiwan. But about Thursday it got very swollen. We went to see a dermatologist. Medicine here in Taiwan functions in a funny way. The doctor looked at it for about 39 seconds, asked me if it was itchy then gave me a package of pre-packaged pills of 5 different varieties and sent me on my way. Friday we headed to Hualian and by Friday night my foot was very very swollen. We were advised to take it to the Buddhist hospital in Hualian, a semi-famous medical location. So that took a large chunk out of my Saturday. They stuck a needle in me, hooked me up to an IV and shot me full of penicillin.
First they had to do a penicillin allergy test though. They shot the medicine right under the skin to make a little bubble sort of like a TB test. As the nurse was prepping me she was talking to another nurse in Chinese, and she said something about this test being very painful. I asked her if it was going to hurt. She looked at me in surprise and asked if I spoke Chinese, I said yes, and she kinda sheepishly nodded. "Yeah," she told me, "this is really going to hurt." And it really, really did. She was surprised. She said "You didn't scream. Most people scream" haha.
So now my foot is doing better, but I am instructed to still take it easy. It puts a bit of a damper on missionary work, which is all done on your feet.
Well that is all I have time for today. I love you all. I pray for you every day!
Love Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment