Friday, June 25, 2010

Well that explains that...I hope...

So I saw a doctor today, because of a specific problem that had been alarming me for three months now. A different doc than my family doc (who professes there is nothing abnormal about me). Upon first sighting me she noted that it looks as if I have an enlarged thyroid, so neck feeling shortly followed. There was a pause as she thought she felt a nodule of some kind, but dismissed it as the cartilage on one side being larger than the other. That is until she learned about my mothers past meeting with thyroid cancer (which visited in the form of two different types, type one and type four, both only visible by ultrasound) at which point she decided that it probably needed to be checked out further. So my elite medical team (my doctor and my insurance company) are trying to put through the paperwork to arrange an ultrasound.

   She followed by listing many symptoms, such as unexplained weight gain, always being cold, moodiness, lack of energy, inflamed acne etc, each of which I checked on my list. So best case I'm developing an overlarge underactive thyroid, which would result in the necessity of medication the rest of my life, or killing off my thyroid.
 
  On one hand this is a relief, now I know why all of these bothersome things have been occurring over the past couple of months, including this meddlesome unexplained (possibly until now) weight gain. On the other, it is worrysome. And I will be highly irked if this has more long standing ramifications on my travel plans of the future (i.e. a mission).

  In other news, our date with paradise has been moved up by two days. We now leave the tenth. I know, I don't know how I'll survive that let down. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am still very jealous that you get to go to Hawii...Me and John will make it there someday...hopefully :(

    But hey you can join me with the unsual body that no one can explain what is wrong with you! It's so much fun...let me tell ya...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your going to hawaii huh? lucky gal! Isn't it nice when you finally kinda figure out whats wrong with you instead of your body just being abnormal but then theres that after part that you wish you don't have to deal with. I wish we could all just be like the fairy godmother in cinderella and wave our wand and poof happiness. BUT then it only lasts till midnight so maybe mary poppins really conquers in the end. AH! I've been reading way to many disney books with nelson. Good luck wiht the lump you abnormal you. LUVS for you and for your mom! toodles.

    ReplyDelete