Monday, August 29, 2011

Typhoon

P day again, though this one took a more interesting turn of events. We have known for about the last week that there has been storms a-brewin' in the waters around this little island and we received word that it might hit Taiwan. Then it sounded like it was going to blow right past. Yesterday in church the president called, the typhoon had hit the island in the east and was blowing hard, we were to head home right after church and not leave the apartment. This is called a "typhoon day" and I was really excited to see one. But unfortunately it was hitting on a Sunday, the next day, today, is our P-day. That meant if a typhoon day landed on p-day, there was no going out to play. Which was really not ok. Last night it was looking as if we were going to have to stay in doors, and a great groan arose within the mission. This morning we prepared for a day of letter writing, and craziness within the walls of confinement. But a miracle occurred, about 10:30, just as studies were closing the phone rang. I answered and the Zone leader, Elder Xu, spoke the words of freedom. That was it and we were out emailing.
The typhoon is not gone, it is only in the east part of the island so far, and if it doesn't blow out then the typhoon day may be reinstated later tonight and we may have to go indoors for tomorrow too. But as of right now we (in the west of the island) and Taibei (in the north) are not really feeling too much of it, there has been some rain and some good winds, but nothing extreme. I told my companion Sister Choi that if we don't see more I will be utterly disappointing and have to say something to whomever arranges the weather here. She told me, "welcome to Zhubei" because this area because of its location never gets anything much more than strong winds. *sigh*
Anyway, nothing too exciting has happened since I last wrote, besides that we will have a baptism on Saturday! Yay! Zeng XinMei is getting baptized. We met her the first week I was here, she was a referral from an awesome new member in a neighboring city. She is a trooper, she has to drive her scooter 25 minutes to get here (ok, that is a lot for Taiwan alright. People here are all about convenience) and she meets with us twice a week. She took all the commandments with out a problem and she wants baptism so bad. She loves the church and she is very willing to commit and keep her commitments. (she saw the announcement about cleaning the church on Saturdays and then asked me how she could get involved haha) She is the first investigator I will have had were I could count as "their Missionary" Because of my frequent moving I haven't really been able to coach someone all the way through to baptism. I've always shown up at the end or left in the beginning. She is a special one. We are excited to get her in the water, though she will leave immediately the next week to the south of the island to go to college.
We also had a special meeting on Friday. We had the President of the Church Sunday School program come here and talk to us. It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about teaching. We also had about an hour before hand where they wanted us in the church to wait and we all got to hang around and talk. Its always a lot of fun when missionaries get to gather. I got to see a bunch of my friends from other areas because we had two Zones together. It was a good day. I also got a surprise bag of brownie mix (like precious gold) magically sent from my roommate Lexi. It was much appreciated Lexi! I unfortunately didn't get to see her :( But that's ok, I feel the love through chocolate goodness.
Well that's about all I have to report as of now. I love you all, and I appreciate your continued support. The first on Thursday marks my year mark. I will have been on a mission for a whole year already. Its been like a lifetime. But its also seemed to go by very fast. I only have 6 months left. Its all down hill from here...
Sister Melissa Thiessen

No comments:

Post a Comment